The Blue Nodules project will develop a new highly-automated and technologically sustainable deep sea mining system for the harvesting of polymetallic nodules from the sea floor.The key objectives of Blue Nodules are:
- An industrially viable polymetallic nodule business case at water depths of 3,000 to 6,000 metres.
- In-situ processing (sediment separation and sizing) and onboard process (dewatering and conditioning).
- Excellent, intrinsically safe working conditions.
- Minimum environmental impact.
- Compliance with the relevant policies and regulations